Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Day 3



The Catholic Parishes in Waterloo

Busy Catholic’s Online Advent Retreat

A Season of Praise


Day Three – Wednesday, December 7

Praise God for Hope


ISAIAH 40:25–31; MATTHEW 11:28–30


Today’s Reading
To whom can you liken me as an equal? says the Holy One.
Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these things….
Why, O Jacob, do you say, “My way is hidden from the LORD,
and my right is disregarded by my God”?
Do you not know or have you not heard?
The LORD is the eternal God, creator of the ends of the earth.
(Isaiah 40)

Fr. Knight’s Reflection
   Don’t we frequently echo Isaiah’s complaint that “my way is hidden from the Lord, and my right is disregarded by my God”? We don’t see God doing what we think he should, and we presume to sit in judgment on him.
   God answers by calling us to look at his mystery and history: “Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these things… ‘Who is my equal?’ says the Holy One.”
   We need to look constantly at the mystery of God’s power and love made evident in his history with humans; we need to praise God for what he is instead of judging God for what he does. If we praise him we will appreciate him.
   Praise is the antidote for those “blinded by pain.” If we form the habit of praising God, we will have hope. And those who “hope in the Lord will renew their strength.”
   Those who have hope are able to endure. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” Those who have hope can relax even under stress. Praise God for hope.
   “I will lift up my eyes to the mountains…My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:1–2).
Copyright by David Knight.  Used by permission of Twenty-Third Publications.

For Your Reflection or Discussion
When have you been tempted to judge God instead of praising him?  Have you experienced how praise leads to hope?

Daily Practice
When your load is heavy, praise God for the part he is carrying.

Advent Prayer
Father, all powerful and ever-living God,
we do well always and everywhere to give you thanks
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
When he humbled himself to come among us,
he fulfilled the plan you formed long ago 
and opened for us the way to salvation.
Now we watch for the day,
when Christ will come again in his glory.
And so, with all the choirs of angels in heaven
we proclaim your glory
and join in their unending hymn of praise.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment